Friday, January 12, 2007

I know a place where you can eat fake shrimp

I doubt this is an objective in your life because it certainly wasn't an objective in mine. But I have this boyfriend who likes to check online reviews before we decide where we're going out to eat, so he and I ended up at Vegetarian House on 32nd St/Indian School last night for dinner.

Our meal started with hot & sour soup, which was very good, and some spring rolls because I never met a spring roll I didn't like. Jon ordered New York "steak," which was delivered on a freshly sizzling pan. I ordered the cashew nut "shrimp" which looked and tasted very much like actual shrimp to the point that it was both realistic and creepy. It was the first fake seafood I'd ever had. I am not sure I'd order fake surf again, as I feel much more comfortable eating fake turf.

We came away not really knowing what we did eat. The restaurant sells the fake surf and turf in its fridge next to teh juice bar. I took a look and saw packages of fake fishes, chicken and steak covered in Asian lettering. Prices were cheap, so I look forward to a return trip for some of that lemongrass chicken. Jon and I sure like lemongrass and fake chicken and now that I think about it, I can't believe neither of us didn't order it! That was the great thing about the Vegetarian House -- there were pages and pages of choices. Vegetarians are seldom faced with so many choices on a menu.

The one con was the headache I had after we ate. Makes me think there was MSG in the food, but I'll give the restaurant the benefit of the doubt as I've had a mild sinus headache on and off since early yesterday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home